Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 10:38:47 +0800
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Nikolas Kauer <nkauer@students.wisc.edu>, "freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Linux

On Sun, 19 April 1998 at 21:22:52 -0500, Nikolas Kauer wrote:
>> From http://www.futuresouth.com/~fullermd/freebsd/bsd/bsdvlinux.14 I
> infer that the second edition of "The Complete FreeBSD" by Greg Lehey
> has a paragraph about FreeBSD vs. Linux. (My apologies.)  Why is this
> issue so taboo? (Greg: "That's a hot potato. A lot of people get fanatical
> about the question. Still, I've just had to write this up for the new edition
> of 'The Complete FreeBSD', so here goes [...]")

The problem is that a lot of people (on both sides) get fanatical
about the question.  The result is a flamefest.  Things are getting
better nowadays, now that each camp has begun to respect the other's
viewpoint.  In earlier times, any message to FreeBSD-questions or one
of the Usenet newsgroups would invariably end up in flames.  The
result was that many people said "don't talk about it".  I haven't had
any negative feedback about the comparison in the book, which means
that either I have failed to offend anybody, or that nobody has read
it.

Greg