Date:      Wed, 09 Jun 2004 14:04:40 +0400
From:      Roman Kurakin <rik@cronyx.ru>
To:        AL Chane <al_chane@issc.com.tw>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Two interfaces on the same network

AL Chane wrote:

>> AL Chane:
>>
>>> Hi, there:
>>>
>>>     I have two interfaces on my linux PC in the same network:

>>>     Another Windows PC with IP 172.20.1.32 netmask 255.255.255.0
>>>
>>>     I found that in the same network, Linux PC only use one interface
>>> eth0 for outbound/inbound traffics no matter what. Even if I use
>>> Windows
>>> PC (172.20.1.32) to ping Linux PC's eth1 (172.20.1.31), Linux still use
>>> eth0 to reply. That is, if I unplug eth0's wire, eth1 won't work too.
>>>
>>>     Does anyone have the same issue on how to make two interfaces
>>> work in the same network? I search 2003 archive, some said it can be
>>> done by set second interface (eth1) netmask to 255.255.255.255, but
>>> i tried and it doesn't work for me.
>>>
>>>     Helps from you are highly appreciated!
>>>
>> Are they on the same wire? If so, why do you need such configuretion?
>>
>> rik
>

> no, eth0 is wired ethernet. eth1 is wireless.
>
> My application is an IP Camera with two interfaces (eth0 is wired
> ethernet, eth1 is wireless) running on uClinux. IP Camera provides
> an Http server so clinet browers can access it by either ethernet or
> wireless.

I don't know how in linux, probably the same, but I didn't setup it on
linux.
In FreeBSD you could do this via bridging. If you turn on bridging you just
need to assign IP to one of the interfaces. Also do not forget to turn
on forwarding.
All side effects could be fixed by firewall rules.

By the way it would be better if you choose other list, cause this one
is for freebsd
not for linux. I am not sure if this violates policy of this list but
for sure you would be
less lucky here.

rik