Date:      Thu, 29 May 2014 10:19:41 +0100
From:      David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: official pkg repo with WITHOUT_X11=true

On 29 May 2014, at 02:23, Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> As for skipping unneeded ports the best I can do is '-a' or "Build it =
all".
> If a port is only needed for WITH_X11 then an IGNORE should be added =
to it
> when WITHOUT_X11 is set to prevent wasting time on it.

We can probably do a bit better by looking at the complete dependency =
graph and removing any ports that have unconditional dependencies on X.  =
For a headless server, there's no reason to build any of the kde-* or =
gnome-* ports or, indeed, X itself.  I suspect that we could easily trim =
2/3 of the build time by omitting ports that have a GUI, GUI toolkits, =
and so on. =20

Longer term, we may be able to share the build time a bit.  Ports which =
don't have a WITHOUT_X11 flag and don't unconditionally depend on X11 =
can potentially be pre-seeded from the normal package build (if we can =
identify them).  That only leaves the ports that actually have =
build-time conditional X support to build in the no-Xorg run.

David