Date:      Mon, 4 May 2009 00:18:22 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        jw <jwdevel@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: clear old output in login screen?

On Sun, 3 May 2009 11:46:30 -0700, jw <jwdevel@gmail.com> wrote:
> How do I get it to clear the screen (and the scroll buffer) when the
> login prompt gets redisplayed?

Two options:

a) Clear everything right after login. Put the command "clear"
   in your ~/.login, or /etc/csh.login for all users.

b) Clear everything right after logout, so the new login will
   get a blank screen. Put the command "clear" in your ~/.logout,
   or /etc/csh.logout for all users.

This assumes that you have the standard dialog shell csh. If
you're using bash, you need to modify its respective files,
~/.profile or ~/.bashrc - I don't know, I'm using csh. :-)

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0