Date:      Mon, 06 Apr 1998 11:54:02 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        krentel@cs.rice.edu
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs checkout

In article <199804060301.WAA29398@cs.rice.edu>,
Mark W. Krentel <krentel@cs.rice.edu> wrote:

> I'm trying to update my sources on the 2.2 branch with cvs checkout
> (and keeping a local copy of the CVS repository) instead of using cvsup.
> But it seems that the "-D date" option conflicts with "-r tag" on
> cvs checkout.

Yes.

>  (1) Is this a bug in cvs, or did I just use the wrong options?

"cvs -H checkout" indicates that the two options are mutually
exclusive.  So it's a "feature".

>  (2) Can cvs check out an entire branch on a given (past) date?

Not as far as I know.

>  (3) As I recall, cvsup handles this correctly, right?
> That is, I can ask for a given branch on a given date with cvsup?

"Right" and "yes".

> As a workaround, I could install cvsupd and then use cvsup instead
> of cvs.

Yes, and it's actually _much_ faster than a cvs checkout.  The only
catch is, you can no longer use CVS on your checked-out tree if you
do it that way.  If you decide to do this, you might wish to have a
look at the "net/cvsup-mirror" port.