Date:      Wed, 04 Aug 1999 19:55:32 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        jarvis@guru.wow.aust.com
Cc:        Mike Hoskins <mike@snafu.adept.org>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Selfstyled arrogance?

Jarvis Cochrane wrote:

> Mike Hoskins wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, Wes Peters wrote:
> >
> > > these interfaces, resulting in software that can't be run on anything but
> > > a Linux system, or a system that emulates the god-awful Linus /proc mess.
> >
> > Which is, essentially, my point...  We should emulate Linux where good,
> > BSD-sense indicates...  but we should not necessarily choose to implement
> > stupid/broken junk.  ;)
>
> Agreed. I tend to the opinion that the whole point of the linux
> emulation is to allow FBSD to tap into the wealth of desktop/office
> software that's available for linux, making FBSD a more attractive
> desktop platform.
>
> People want to run, say, StarOffice - most don't particularly care
> whether it runs under Linux or FBSD or Solaris or whatever.
>
> While I'm sure that there are exceptions, I can't see that there is much
> call for 'office' software to be mucking about in /proc. And _besides_,
> there's stuff like... urm... libgtop which aims to provide a platform
> independent way of getting at process and memory data.

But it was exactly StarOffice that did this, looking for something in /proc
that it could have easily gotten from a more traditional interface.  Ugh.

> Perhaps we would be better served by ensuring that FBSD has a really
> good implementation of such a library, and asking people to write to _that_.

Or just encouraging vendors to not use idiotic bits of Linux that can't or
won't be supported under emulation, getting them to test their products
however minimally under FreeBSD using emulation, and encouraging the "Linux
Standards Base" to NOT incorporate stupidities into the standard, so the
commercial vendors will stay away from them.

http://softweyr.com/                                           wes@softweyr.com