Date:      Tue, 15 Apr 2003 09:20:58 -0400
From:      "John Hoder" <Jhoder@WBUR.BU.EDU>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   PPP Question

hello,

i'm relatively new to freebsd and so far i'm delighted with the
performance and stability.  i have a continual problem with ppp
though and i've searched the documentation and contacted my isp for
an answer.  maybe you have a suggestion.  there are really 2 separate
issues:

1. authentication is like rolling the dice.  it seems about a 50/50
chance that i get the ppp in capitals.  once there, my connection
with my isp is rock-solid.  but half the time i get an error (some
strange machine code) during what looks like the first stage of
authentication (the lower case p's).

2. (maybe related to number 1?) when i first modified ppp.conf i
could not get my modem to be recognized using /dev/cuaa0, 1, etc.
(although my modem *is* connected to a serial port).  so i just sort
of stumbled on using ttyd0, which works fine except for the problem
described above.

any help you can offer would be appreciated.

thanks,

john