Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 2003 22:04:13 -0500
From:      "Rick C. Petty" <rick@megan.kiwi-computer.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   status of ffsrecov

Hello.  I'm wondering when ffsrecov will be fixed so that it compiles with
the UFS2 headers.  fsck(1) found a few unconnected inodes on two of my
important drives (after two fatal crashes in a row) and I need to recover
those files if possible.

How compatible are UFS1 & UFS2?  I'd like to just dump those files and I
could install an earlier FreeBSD version (I'm currently using 5.1-RELEASE)
and try recovering the files, but I'm not sure if it'll even work.  I'm
pretty familiar with the intimate details of UFS1/FFS so feel free to get
technical..  Also I'm willing to help the maintainer fix this port if
they're willing to help me very soon!  thanks,

-- Rick C. Petty        Senior Software Engineer, KIWI Computer
rick@kiwi-computer.com            http://www.kiwi-computer.com/