Date:      03 Jul 2001 23:15:28 -0400
From:      Arcady Genkin <antipode@thpoon.com>
To:        dan@langille.org
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: webpages and CVS - what about CVS/Root etc?

"Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org> writes:

> I know you're out there.  You're using cvs to store your webpages.  How
> do you publish the pages?  Via "cvs update" directly into the document
> root of the website?  If so, what are you doing about files which you may
> not want people to see, such as CVS/Entries?
>
> I'm quite sure I can use the Apache "files" directive to restrict access.
> But I was hoping for other suggestions.

Personally I maintain a Makefile which installs just the needed files
with correct permissions to the right places.

Apart from that you can use "cvs export" to get a copy without the CVS
control files.  I also saw a different approach: simply chmod the CVS
directories to something that is not readable to apache (usually 700
should do); but this way you have to be mindful adding new
directories.
--
Arcady Genkin
i=1; while 1, hilb(i); i=i+1; end