Date:      Wed, 11 Jan 2006 12:16:48 -0600
From:      "Scott T. Hildreth" <shildreth@allantgroup.com>
To:        Jeremy Messenger <mezz7@cox.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: What type of hardware are you using?

On Wed, 2006-01-11 at 11:51 -0600, Jeremy Messenger wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 09:53:53 -0600, Scott T. Hildreth
> <shildreth@allantgroup.com> wrote:
>
> > At home, my machine is a 1 GHZ, with 768 mb of memory.  I use xfce4,
> > evolution, firefox, gnome-office, ...etc.  It seems that with every
> > upgrade, the 1GHZ cpu is not enough power anymore.  I use evolution
> > at work, but I am trying Thunderbird at home now.  The new evolution
> > is too slow on my home server.  Thunderbird is better (less cpu
> > intensive), but not snappy by any means.  Plus I miss some of the
> > features of Evolution, but this is straying from my question.  Has
> > anyone else noticed this issue or is everyone else running on faster
> > processors?
>
> What's version of FreeBSD are you using? There are several ways to make
> your FreeBSD desktop feel faster/smoother by using FreeBSD 6.x

  I just upgraded to 6.0.

> or 7.x with
> ULE, using either libpthread/libthr, using ccache, tweak kern.ipc.shmmax
> and kern.ipc.shmall (see below), disable debug in kernel

 I'm pretty sure I commented out the kernel debugging.

> and malloc.conf,
> follow tuning(7) and others that I have forgotten.

  I will check out the tuning manpage.

> /etc/sysctl.conf:
> =====================
> kern.ipc.shmmax=67108864
> kern.ipc.shmall=32768
> =====================
>
> The Mozilla products and OpenOffice.org are always known to be slow on
> low-end machine and use a lot of ram.

  I was going to upgrade the ram, but I haven't seen the swap being
heavily used or filled.  It seems to be more in the CPU.

>  I never have use or follow up with
> Evolution, so can't really make any comment on it. GNOME team are working
> very hard to make GNOME 2.13/2.14 go faster and use less memory, which is
> what part I am looking forward for. However, try to replace from
> heavy-weight apps to light-weight apps. Like I am using Opera
> (linux-opera) instead Firefox/Mozilla/Thunderbird/Evolution, TextMaker
> (shareware) instead OpenOffice/AbiWord and etc.

  I really haven't noticed too much slowness with Firefox.

> Isn't it kind of shame that Linux/BSD/UNIX desktop need faster machine and
> more ram than Win98/Win2k/WinXP in these day? :-/ Before anyone make any
> comment on use Fluxbox, Xfce or so, look at the features what
> Win98/Win2k/WinXP can do compare to these light-weight WM.
>
> Anyway, as for hardware, I have:
>
> AthlonXP 3200+ Barton
> 512mb RAM
> GeForce4 Ti4200 dualhead 128mb (AGP8X)
> 160gb HDD (8 cache)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1644629&Sku=MBM-P4M800-340

I was thinking of buying this board and processor, but I read a review that stated
the Celeron D 's still run pretty hot.

> 100% apps in here have been compiled with debug and I don't notice any
> slowdown or whatever even in video and game too. Running in GNOME 2.12.x.

I get temporary X freezes,

(EE) R128(0): R128CCEWaitForIdle: (DEBUG) CCE idle took i = 1025
(EE) R128(0): Idle timed out, resetting engine...

...I saw someone else was having this problem, I hope it is fixed
with the new Xorg release.

--
Scott T. Hildreth <shildreth@allantgroup.com>