Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 21:40:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Java 1.2.2 on FreeBSD/alpha

[cross-posted, followups to freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org]

Just a quick heads-up -- Compaq has released their Linux/alpha java
1.2.2 for public beta (it was formerly private).  It is possible to
run this using the Linux ABI module on FreeBSD/alpha, both 4.2-STABLE
and 5.0-CURRENT.  Note that it will not work on 4.2-RELEASE.

It is pretty slow, but it works. (and its just as slow under native
linux, so its not my fault ;).  It might be useful for bootstrapping
a native java build.

Download it from: http://www.linuxalpha.compaq.com/java122/download.html
To run it, you'll need to:

- enable linux_enable in /etc/rc.conf (and load linux.ko if you don't
want to reboot)
- install linux_base-6.1 from ports
- Grab the OpenMotif rpm they point you at on the JDK download page.
and install it manually using the same rpm args as the linux base port
does.

After unpacking the jdk, you'll need to edit the java wrapper to point
to /compat/linux/bin/sh instead of /bin/sh.

_Optionally_, you'll want to install the compaq math libs for linux.
If you don't have these installed, the JIT won't work.
You can get these from http://www5.compaq.com/math/download/index.html
Pick the right one for your CPU (ev4, ev5, ev6, etc)
Follow the link and grab libots.

Install these using the same rpm args as the linux base port does.
You might end up with a 0 length libcpml.so because they've taken to
extracting the shared lib from the static lib (saves download b/w, I
guess..).  In this case, you might try installing the linux_devtools
port and using the linux ld to run this on libcpml.a ((I extracted
mine on my native linux/alpha test box):
/compat/linux/.../ld -shared -o libcpml_ev5.so -soname libcpml.so -whole-archive libcpml_ev5.a -no-whole-archive -lots

After doing all this, install the resulting libcpml_ev5.so and run
/compat/linux/sbin/ldconfig.

Enjoy,

Drew