Date:      Tue, 31 May 2005 20:39:42 +1000
From:      Michael VInce <mv@roq.com>
To:        Mathew Schofield <mr.skoe@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMD64 Faster?

Mathew Schofield wrote:

>Is the AMD64 Version of FreeBSD Significantly faster then the i386
>version? I am using Windows XP 64 Bit atm and it is *incredibly*
>faster then the 32 bit version. I am just curious to if FreeBSD's
>AMD64 Version is snappy and ... any good?

I think your '*incredibly*' is a bit over the top in description of
performance.
Hardware benchmarking web sites like www.anandtech.com have done
extensive benchmarking on MS windows have have reported mixed results,
some things have been faster some have been slower, over all it is faster.

Here is a good example 64bit version of the game Far Cry in WinXP64 ,
its not server benchmark but none the less

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2411&p=2
on Intel EMT64 this game was 8 frames per sec faster.
on the AMD64 it was 6 fps faster