Date:      Wed, 9 Aug 2000 10:01:01 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
To:        David Thiel <dthiel@nexprise.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: more fun NIS problems

On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, David Thiel wrote:

> Now, in the documentation, it says to copy master.passwd to
> /var/yp.  Should I take out the system accounts from that file, so
> root isn't ever authenticated over NIS?

It depends on your system, and which accounts you wish to distribute.

If, for example, you only have FreeBSD servers, then distributing the
system accounts would probably be OK, but if you have a Heinz 57 of
OSes, then it probably would be a better idea to just share the user
accounts and leave the system accounts local.

You'll usually save yourself headaches in the future if you keep all
system accounts local.

> If I do take those out, how to I rebuild the yp stuff after
> editing?  Just do a make in /var/yp?

Yep!  "Makefile" also has a two or three other options you might want
to take a look at...

-Paul.