Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2006 21:40:43 -0700
From:      Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@komquats.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Semi FreeBSD Related Fedora Linux Question

I have a situation where I need to install Fedora Linux on a computer
however the CDROM drive is not bootable (old SCSI cdrom drive and an old
Adaptec 1542 controller which does not support CDROM boot) and as Fedora no
longer supports floppy installs as FreeBSD does, I'm left with the
possibility of a network install. Anyhow I had the idea today, while
walking my dog, to use one of the FreeBSD systems on my network as a Red
Hat kickstart server. It should work, shouldn't it? Red Hat kickstart is
just a bootp server with a TFTP server to boot the kernel and an NFS server
to install off of, just like a Solaris Jumpstart server would. If I put all
the right bits and pieces in the right places, one of my FreeBSD systems
should be able to serve as a Red Hat Linux kickstart server, or so I would
think. Has anyone done this before?

I suppose for that matter a FreeBSD system could even serve as a Solaris
Jumpstart server. All the proprietary bits and pieces are served over the
network via NFS while the client executes any proprietary code. A Red Hat
kickstart server would work similarly so this should work, at least in
theory, in both cases.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@komquats.com>