Date:      Sun, 3 Jan 1999 14:18:07 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        "Bart (The Good Guy) Trzynadlowski" <trzy@powernet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IA-64 support

In the last episode (Jan 02), Bart (The Good Guy) Trzynadlowski said:
> When the Intel IA-64 based chips come out starting with the "Merced"
> and then the "super-amazing" chip to follow it up, how fast would a
> port of FreeBSD to IA-64 be expected? Is IA-64 something the FreeBSD
> development team is looking into at all? Although I'm generally an
> end-user and an aspiring C/asm programmer ;) hehe, I think I MIGHT
> look into this IA-64 stuff... but I'll need an O/S to power it and
> although NT5 is 64-bit compliant I don't want that to be my window
> into 64-bit computing....

I believe that when Intel was pushing the Merced (they seem to have
forgotten about it), they promised to give the free OS people all the
information they would need, plus access to Intel's testing facilities.

I'd rather just run FreeBSD/Alpha on a non-vaporware 64-bit CPU, thank
you :)

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com