Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 2003 22:01:08 +0200
From:      "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
To:        Pawel Jakub Dawidek <nick@garage.freebsd.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: File system deadlock. GBDE(4) and/or MD(4) related.

In message <20030724185922.GZ43543@garage.freebsd.pl>, Pawel Jakub Dawidek writ
es:

>+> One way or another:  It is _not_ a GBDE problem.
>
>Hey, Poul! I'm not trying to show that gbde(4) is a buggy software,
>I'm not trying to destroy you work, your image or FreeBSD, really.
>
>I believe that this isn't bug in gbde(4), my fault, sorry.

No worries, I just want to make sure that the mail archives contain
a definitive statement that this was not a GBDE problem.

>But one thing I know, is that bug is somewhere and I just want to help
>track it down.
>
>This information could be useful:
>
>When I've mounted file system on /private (not on /mnt/private) there
>is no problem anymore. So maybe deadlock is caused by some directory
>locking or something? Because if file system in mounted on /mnt/private
>deadlock is 100% reproducable.

Using vnode backed md(4) devices is sort of incestuous, and that may
be what happens here:  For certain operations it is necessary to lock
all the way to the top of the filesystem, and this may be what results
in a deadlock for you now.