Date:      Thu, 05 May 2005 12:08:40 +0200
From:      Stanislav Brabec <utx@penguin.cz>
To:        freebsd@fadesa.es
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xorg 6.8.2 and rage128 based video cards

José M. Fandiño wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  As some of you may know FreeBSD 5.4 comes with Xorg 6.8.2 and
> owners of rage128 based cards will be out of luck because
> support for this chips is very limited (only 2D).

Xorg driver already has reasonable acceleration for both 2D and 3D with
cooperation with DRI driver on kernel side.

> Fortunately Stanislav Brabec wrote a patch for video acceleration
> (not 3D) and all I did was glue all the parts to genererate the
> binary modules for FreeBSD/i386. Point you mouse to this URL
> to get them.

My patch is only a port of GATOS, and adds only support for tuner video
functions and few related additions coming from GATOS project.

> http://195.55.55.164/tests/FreeBSD/multimedia/r128.tgz
http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/ftp/gatos/

Please note, that this patch is not ready for distribution, because it
breaks Radeon driver! It needs a volunteer, who owns this card and
knows, how to merge patches.

Details:

I don't know on any Radeon patch, which is ready to be merged. There is
not possible to simply make diff and apply it. Somebody must take this
diff file, check, which changes are needed (e. g. later freeing of BIOS,
adding XVideo attributes), which changes adds new features (i. e. chip
support, XVideo etc,) and which changes were originated by not synced
versions and return older version of code.

In practice, it means:
- Make a diff from xfree86-4.4.0 to GATOS ati.4.4.0.
- Clean the patch - remove all unneeded code changes. It means:
- Apply to xorg-x11 sources, fix rejects.

Cleaning patch means:
- Look at all chunks containing only lines starting with "-" and try to avoid them.
- Look at all code changes and verify, whether change is needed.
- Look, whether code additions (chunks containing only lines starting with "-") are correct.
- Fix compilation (headers, changed declarations etc.)
- Test it.
- If it does not work, search for missing chunks.

It does not need deep insight.

Stanislav Brabec
http://www.penguin.cz/~utx