Date:      Tue, 3 Jul 2001 14:42:06 -0400
From:      parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To:        Jason Nugent <malhavoc@stomped.com>
Cc:        f-q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: cvsup list file & file status (c C F U D)

so, me shared this in my lifetime...
> so, Jason Nugent shared this in my lifetime...
> >
> > Parv,
> >
> > There are a whole stack of CVSup files in your
> >
> > /usr/share/examples/cvsup/
> >
> > directory.
> >
> > there is also quite a bit in the Handbook on CVSup.
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html
> >

> > Jason
> >
> > On Mon, 2 Jul 2001 at 1:52pm, parv thought about
> >
> > > does anybody know what above mentioned 5 one-letter tags mean in a
> > > cvsup list file? i could find only those 5 tags for "src-all" for
>     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > > "RELENG_4".
> > >
> > > also, does anybody know the complete format of a cvsup list file?
>                                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > >
> > > manpage of cvsup doesn't have much to say under section "the list
> > > file", or "see also". i have checked manpage for cvs too; is the
> > > "commands" section, subsection "update" relevant here? web/usenet
> > > searches offer nothing relevant...
> > >

> no. that's not it. please re-read the previous message.
>
> i am not looking information for supfile or its format.  i am looking
> for information about  _THE_LIST_FILE_, as cvsup manpage calls it. or,
> a "status file" according to the handbook.

well, i found my answer --  only after learning that it's also called
a "checkout file"[1] -- in the doc/(Checkouts|Protocol) after
downloading the source. for closure, below are the meaning of the codes:

  The types of records are as follows:

  c Checked-out file that is dead
  C Checked-out file that is alive
  F File format version identifier
  U Go up out of a subdirectory
  D Go down into a subdirectory

[1] according to doc/faq.html...

./doc/faq.html:800:<p>Confusingly, checkouts files are also sometimes referred to as
./doc/faq.html-801-"list" files.

 - parv