Date:      Wed, 19 Oct 2005 00:34:05 -0700
From:      Sandy Rutherford <sandy@krvarr.bc.ca>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How well do USB -> parallel adapters work for printers?

 > The guy who provides our hardware recommended a USB -> parallel adapter,
 > but I've got no experience with these.  I've been warned about USB ->
 > serial adapaters and how the translation isn't always 100%, so I'm
 > trying to gather some information before I go forward with this plan.

 > Anyone use one of these?  How well do they work in general?  How well
 > do they work under FreeBSD?

Depends on the printer.  They do not work with HP OfficeJets.  I have
been able to get an Entegra USB -> parallel adapter to work with with
an HP Laserjet III and FreeBSD 4.10.  However, I haven't been able to
get the same adapter to work with a Lexmark Optra S.  Frankly, if you
can put a network card into the printer, that will most likely be far
more trouble free.

Sandy