Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2018 09:20:02 -0500
From:      William Dudley <wfdudley@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Increased abuse activity on my server

This may sound stupid and obvious, but I moved my ssh port to a high
"random" port
number, and that completely stopped the random attempts to ssh in.  I know
that
"security by obscurity" "doesn't work", but it did!

I picked a port like 5792 -- not related to anything else.  (i.e. don't
pick 2222 or 2022 etc.)

I've had this in place for months and months (perhaps a year) and the
attackers
haven't found the port yet.

I think this works because unless you, specifically, are at *target* of
somebody *serious*,
(think "kbg"), most of these attackers are opportunists who won't spend the
time
to do a full port scan of your server.  They just try the standard ports:
21, 22, 23, 25, etc.

ALSO, you should disable password auth for ssh and use only public/private
key.

Then you know the attackers are REALLY wasting their time.

Bill Dudley

This email is free of malware because I run Linux.