Date:      Sun, 28 Oct 2001 13:32:24 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
Cc:        Sean Noonan <snoonan@snoonan.com>, "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PROB:  building ports when /usr/ports is a symbolic link?

Edwin Groothuis wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 28, 2001 at 12:56:19PM -0800, Sean Noonan wrote:
> > I have several FreeBSD boxes and I don't want to cvsup the ports collection
> > on all of them, only one of them.  I've created a symbolic link on the box
> > that does not have a real /usr/ports directory to the ports directory on the
> > box that actually has a /usr/ports directory (e.g., cd /usr ; ln -s
> > portspc:/usr/ports /ports).
>
> Are all the machines at the same LAN? In that case I would share it via NFS.
> If they are all over the world, I would make the packages on one
> system and distribute them from there.

This is what I do. I have the base system setup with a /usr/ports
partition that could be nfs mounted but haven't tried doing that yet. I
looked at all of the systems and the largest usage was ~10GB and I made
the /usr/ports partition that large. The only problem is with a couple
of ports such as kdebase-2.2_2 that will not do a make package on an SMP
system. You have to create /usr/ports/packages and perhaps .../All.
Then, instead of a make install, you do a make package.

Kent

> Just my 2 cents,
> Edwin
>
> --