Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 1995 16:15:09 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org, current@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: config, other kernel build tools

> >I *don't* want to toast my existing /usr/sbin/config; I like it, it
> >is my friend, it serves me well.
>
> Than change DESTDIR in your alternate source tree before you do the install. :)

and chroot to use it, etc., setc..  8-(.

> >What I'd really like is an incremental step in Richard's planned
> >mega-makefile patch direction.  Putting the tools that are only good
> >for building kernels in with the kernel code that is to be built is
> >a good first step.
>
> So you advocate is gets installed into the conf dir?  Ugh.

Yeah, just like the X tools during an X build.  Not pretty, but
non-colliding with existing installations.

> >It's not like the boot code, etc. isn't already in the kernel tree
> >and isn't really kernel code proper.
>
> The main reason we want to do away with config is that it just isn't
> flexible enough and we have to hack it all of the time.  If config
> wasn't such a poor utility, there would be nothing wrong with having
> it in /usr/sbin since it would only change once in a blue moon.

Agreed.  The ultimate goal is to kill config entirely.  The short
term goal is to build a -current kernel on a -stable system.

If it's killed, it goes away entirely.  If it's not killed yet, /usr/sbin
is probably the wrong place for it to live until such time as it *is*
killed.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---