Date:      Tue, 3 Feb 1998 08:26:56 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        toor@dyson.iquest.net (John S. Dyson)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, dmm125@bellatlantic.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG, bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: netscape/swap_pager causing problems with syscons

> > Nope, it's not a "problem" with syscons - it's just what happens when
> > an X server is rudely shot down and has no chance to clean up.  And
> > I'm sure that Terry will have some suggestion about how state changes
> > should be pushed and restored in syscons but it's unlikely that this
> > will every happen unless somebody actually figures out how to
> > implement it and has the free time to do the work involved.  Don't
> > hold your breath though and allocate more swap space instead. ;-)
>
> This is another need for a transitive closure of the flow graph of
> execution. :-).

Heh.  It's called putting DDX into the kernel.  And it's already been
implemented... for Linux.

It's interesting how much discussion about architecture on these lists
finds its way into Linux first... one wonders if FreeBSD people are
being abused as the architects for Linux...

Demand loadable kernel modules.
Generalize reference counting.
ELF.
Use of ELF sections to implement virtual base classes in g++.
Change to a large offset instead of a single page offset so ld.so
	can be mapped into the image by the exec() rather than by
	crt0.o
Token Ring drivers.
SMP.
DDX in the kernel.