Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 05:24:28 +0100
From:      "Siegbert Baude" <Siegbert.Baude@gmx.de>
To:        "Bill Moran" <wmoran@mail.iowna.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Use of swap causes signal 11 or fatal trap 12

Thanks for the fast response (also to Matthew),

> Siegbert Baude wrote:
>
> > dmesg snippet:
> > ad0: 6197MB <IBM-DHEA-36481> [12592/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA33
>
> How old is this drive? Could be hardware on the way out. I had problems
> like this about a month ago and fixed it by replacing an old, overworked
> HDD.

This disk is about 2 years old. Not too much, but you never know. Is there a
possibility to test the surface of the disk within FBSD? Else (changing the
partition to dos and using scandisk seems possible but dangerous)? I never
noticed any problems with it so far, are there other possibilities?

Ciao
Siegbert