Date:      Fri, 11 Apr 1997 17:25:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <FreeBSD-Ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: New itcl available

Argh..the Tcl/Tk distribution nightmare is getting worse...

I wanted to port two monsters:
* soon-to-be-released Ptolemy 0.7, requires Itcl 2.2 (BTW any one
interested in BETA testing should report ASAP to cxh@eecs.berkeley.edu).
* PLplot would probably build without Tk if Tcl wouldn't keep getting in
the way or if Itcl was available (There are more problems here, I wrote to
the author asking for help).

This are only MY problems, I'm sure other people building ports also have
their own.

IMO (flame me if you want) Tcl shouldn't be included in the main
distribution, specially since it's (almost) useless without Tk and it's an
old version. I understand there are problems with the multiple versions of
Tcl/Tk, but importing Tcl simply moves the problem inside. Tcl may also be
small, but it has no sense to include it in the base distribution.
Ports team: please, let's move again to the old scheme in which everyone
chooses the version of Tcl/Tk they want to use.
I would even accept drastic solutions, like installation scripts that nuke
all previous versions of Tcl/Tk.

--Pedro.