Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2012 14:55:27 +0100
From:      "Steven Hartland" <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
To:        "Ollivier Robert" <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, "Charles Sprickman" <spork@bway.net>, <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ZFS TRIM support committed to HEAD.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ollivier Robert" <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>

> According to Steven Hartland:
>> We applied the patch to a 8.3-RELEASE based install with additional patches
>> including patches to provide TRIM support for CAM da devices via SATA
>> pass-through including full support for security and identify commands in
>> camcontrol.
>>
>> If anyone would like those as we can provide.
>
> That would be indeed very nice.

Our current patchset minus the zfstrim one can be found here:-
http://blog.multiplay.co.uk/dropzone/freebsd/zfs-trim-patchset83.tbz

Of course you'll also need pjd's zfs trim patch set.

It expects to be extracted in /usr/src, where it will create a patches
subdir. If you then put the zfs trim patch in the same dir and run
./patches/apply.sh you should be good.

There's a fare few patches in there, as I've split the various parts
into their individual components so its easier to track and submit.

The patches include some back ported code that's already committed as
well as other little fixes which also have been committed. Notes at
the top of each patch file detail what it does and if its been
committed.

The one to watch is zfs-ashift-fix.patch as that changes how ashift
is calculated for a drive (makes it compatible with QUIRKS) but
could well cause issues if you booting from a ZFS tank which has
a member disk that changes stripsize.

If you don't want to risk that, just delete it. It should however
be noted that at least on sandforce based disks if your deletes
aren't 4k aligned the trim requests will be ignored by the drive,
which is what triggered us to create that patch as well as the
ssd_quirks.patch

    Regards
    Steve

or return the E.mail to postmaster@multiplay.co.uk.