Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 05:02:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Omer Faruk Sen <ofsenfreebsd@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   performance tunning

Hi.
I am a bit newbie to fbsd.I have realized that I can
not get use of my whole cpu performance at any time.I
think it is a security measure.That's good for
security but not good for home usage.I think those
values are arranged with sysctl command.But there is
not option for cpu utilization at fbsd kernel ?Or
there is?Where can I find a document for that(for
system perf tunning)

Additionally  I have another problem.After changing a
value with sysctl -w kern.xxx I can see the affect
with using "limits" command.It goes on to show old
values.Is there a conf file for limits command.It is
not much related with sysctl.I can change my system's
value with sysctl but it is a bit annoying.Especially
for a newbie :)

To give an example I am doing  sysctl -w
kern.openfiles=10000 it says 192--->100000.That shows
me value has changed but after that change I use
limits command and output is different

Resource limits (current):
  cputime          infinity secs
  filesize         infinity kb
  datasize           524288 kb
  stacksize           65536 kb
  coredumpsize     infinity kb
  memoryuse        infinity kb
  memorylocked     infinity kb
  maxprocesses          531
  openfiles            1064
  sbsize           infinity bytes
-----
openfiles is 1064 here ...I just have realised that
after doing a boot those value in kernel is
kern.openfiles: 192  but limits command's output gives
me something different.I am in fact a linux user for 3
years.And started to think linux is faster.But I am
sure after changing those values(Especially cpu
utilization value) I can get a better performance from
my fbsd box.Cause until now I have never seen that my
cpu load is %100 or more in fbsd.But Linux uses all
cpu at any time.Simply using a tar zxvf command can be
enough for that...

Regards..