Date:      Wed, 10 Jun 1998 18:20:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@threespace.com>
To:        Loren Thiel <thiel@genevaonline.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Where's X go?

[ redirected to quesions@freebsd.org from newbies@freebsd.org ]

On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Loren Thiel wrote:

: Being familiar with Windows 95...i was wondering where the equivalent of
: the \windows and \windows\system directories would be with X?  What I mean
: is...where are the main system binaries...libraries...(does X use dll
: files, dynamic-linked-libraries) what are some of the other directories for
: under X?

The rough (and I mean *rough*) equivalent of a C:\WINDOWS directory is
/usr/X11R6/bin, which has the X Windows binaries.  Library files are in
/usr/X11R6/lib.  Search under the /usr/X11R6 tree to see some of the
directories it contains.

: How about shortcuts...or .lnk files in Windows95? What are those
: in X?

The closest equivalent of a Windows 95 shortcut is a link (see "man link"
for more info).  They're far more powerful than Windows shortcuts as they
are essentially aliases for files.  Hence they can be used for more than
just starting .EXEs in other folders.  Files and even entire directories
can be linked.  For example on many UNIX systems there is a link from
/usr/X11 to /usr/X11R6 (for historical reasons).  Note that links are a
feature of UNIX, not of X Windows.

: Does X use a registry like windows?  How about startup files, like
: win.ini, system.ini?

There is no overriding registry, but the /etc directory has a lot of files
related to system configuration and startup.  Most of these are text files
viewable with an editor.  They're too numerous to mention here, but
looking through them may give you some hints as to what's going on.

: I've also rescently learned about windows managers...if I pick say KDE to
: run now...1st, where does that install to? 2nd, is it easy to change to
: another one...like fvwm2...or one of the other ones I found at
: http://www.PLiG.org/xwinman/index.html ?

The simplest (but not the only) way to change window managers is by
changing the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc file.  By default this file
launches twm (near the end).  Change that to fvwm2 or something else to
see a different effect.  Some window managers (like fvwm2) have default
settings to let you change WMs on the fly.

Hope this helps some.  If you need any more assistance, post to
questions@freebsd.org.

K.S.