Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2000 16:32:33 -0500
From:      "Shawn Barnhart" <swb@grasslake.net>
To:        "Dan Ts'o" <dan@dna.tsolab.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Does su have a builtin nohup?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Ts'o" <dan@dna.tsolab.org>
To: "Shawn Barnhart" <swb@grasslake.net>

| I have noticed this too and have appreciated it as a "feature",
| though I consider it a bug. I am quite sure that is not the way original
| Unix worked. It may have to do with the way that process groups/privs
| are handling signals these days...

I suppose it is, but its kind of a nuisance to hunt down dead jobs and its
not always practical or desirable to have some kind of runaway job,
especially the way the output-heavy jobs crank the CPU utlization up on my
machines.  I like to think that a hard disconnect should also be thought of
in the worst possible terms; I've lost my physical connection, perhaps
permanently.  If you take that assumption, its seems really undesirable to
keep interactive jobs running unattended.

| There should be a way to "reconnect" to disconnected jobs, much
| like in old TOPS-10, ie to reassociate controlling ttys to detached jobs.
| It is the I/O (stdin/stdout/stderr/ctty) analog of signals, parent/child,
| and job control.

I've always wanted the basic functions of screen built into bash, or at
least the connect/reconnect capabilities.