Date:      Fri, 11 Nov 2011 10:41:56 +0100
From:      David Demelier <demelier.david@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   No usb keyboard in single user mode

Hello,

This question may have been asked a lot of time but I have the same
problem, my USB keyboard works well with the loader, when the system has
successfully booted but not in the single user mode.

I don't know if this matters but when the request

When prompted Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:

comes, my keyboard didn't already show up in the kernel message, and the
kernel still probe and attach devices after this message so the
following output is printed :

When prompted Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:uhub3:
6 ports with 6 removable, self powered
ugen0.2: <BTC> at usbus0
ukbd0: <BTC USB Multimedia Keyboard, class 0/0, rev 1.10/1.20, addr 2>
on usbus0
kbd1 at ukbd0
uhid0: <BTC USB Multimedia Keyboard, class 0/0, rev 1.10/1.20, addr 2>
on usbus0
ugen1.2: <vendor 0x0a12> at usbus1
ubt0: <vendor 0x0a12 EDRClassone, class 224/1, rev 2.00/19.58, addr 2>
on usbus1
ugen0.3: <Logitech> at usbus0

So here nothing possible to do, only shutdown by power button. I have
heard a long time ago that legacy USB must be enabled in the BIOS and it
is in mine.

This is reproducible all the time on 8.2-RELEASE

Cheers,

--
David Demelier