Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2000 10:18:24 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        "Alex N. Zhuravlev" <alx@scn.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MS Win IP assigning

"Alex N. Zhuravlev" wrote:

> Hi all !
> Please help who knows how ...
> The problem is that Win machine with misconfigured IP stack with
> "automatic assign IP address" steals my server IP address. Why and how
> can this be ?

First, there is no question in the world that should be cross-posted to
both FreeBSD-Questions and FreeBSD-Security.  I've directed replies to
the questions mailing list to keep this from spreading.

Second, if the win machine is configured to "automatically assign IP address",
it's getting that address from a DHCP server and you've stolen one of the
addresses doled out by the DHCP server.