Date:      Thu, 5 Nov 1998 19:21:54 +0000
From:      Tom Hukins <tom@eborcom.com>
To:        Pradesh Chanderpaul <p.chanderpaul@olsy.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem : Error Installing ports from MS-DOS partition

On Thu, Nov 05, 1998 at 04:06:43PM +0200, Pradesh Chanderpaul wrote:
> My FreeBSD machine has no network collection so all my
> installation work is being off space from my DOS partition
> after downloading from another connected machine.
>
> I am trying install the ports collection. So far I've downloaded
> the ports.tgz file into C:\FreeBSD\ports. I've run the install.sh
> script which built a directory tree in /usr/ports. The distfiles
> directory is empty.
>
> Running 'make install' an any port gives an error searching for
> the xxx.tgz file.

The ports.tgz file you have downloaded only contains the ports
skeletons. Each port has a skeleton which tells FreeBSD how to compile
and install it, what files it contains, and other information.

To install a port you not only needs its skeleton, but also its
distfile. If you want to find out where a distfile is stored, you can
read the Makefile in its skeleton. For example:

% cd /usr/ports/net/traceroute
% more Makefile
[ -- snip -- ]
DISTNAME=	traceroute_961230
PKGNAME=	traceroute-961230
CATEGORIES=	net
MASTER_SITES=	ftp://ftp.nikhef.nl/pub/network/
EXTRACT_SUFX=	.tar.Z
[ -- snip -- ]

MASTER_SITES tells you where you can download the distfile from. There
is also a distfiles subdirectory of the FreeBSD ftp site (which can be
found at ftp.freebsd.org and its mirrors) which contains many of the
distfiles.

If you're still not sure which files are the distfiles type "make
install" and read the error message. For example:
% cd /usr/ports/net/licq
% make install
[ -- snip -- ]
>> licq-0.44.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist on this system.
>> Attempting to fetch from http://pages.infinit.net/fairoff/licq/.
fetch: `pages.infinit.net': cannot resolve: Host name lookup failure
[ -- snip -- ]

The error message states quite clearly where the distfile(s) can be
found.

Hope that helps,
Tom

--
       Learn how to create amazing web sites

     Visit eBORcOM's Web Development Resources
          http://www.eborcom.com/webmaker/