Date:      Tue, 26 Oct 2004 18:20:49 +0200
From:      "Daan Vreeken [PA4DAN]" <Danovitsch@Vitsch.net>
To:        scott renna <flexble2547@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Dlink-g520 Wireless and WEP more

On Tuesday 26 October 2004 17:38, scott renna wrote:
> ok, well this system has a 3com, xl0 holding an ip of
> 192.168.2.150
> Does this mean that I need to have each interface
> having an IP on a different subnet?
> maybe I could change the mask on the xl0 to
> 255.255.248.0 and it might work?
Nope, that won't help.

> I wanted to have the wireless card on the same subnet
> as the rest of the LAN and keep the wired card up and
> running just for testing before permanently migrating
> to this wireless card(i'm using encrypted protocols
> locally so wep weaknesses should not be an issue).
>
> is there a way to have both cards be on the same
> subnet and have the same subnet mask?
Nope.
If you would do that, FreeBSD wouldn't know on what interface it should send
packets destined for a PC on that subnet. (That's why ifconfig refuses to set
the ip address).

If you want to be able to switch between LAN and WLAN, you'll have to turn off
one of the interfaces...
If you want to run over WLAN, type :
ifconfig xl0 down
ifconfig ath0 192.168.2.150 etc etc etc...

If you want to switch back to LAN, type :
ifconfig ath0 down
ifconfig xl0 up

You can assign the same ip address to multiple interfaces, but you can only
have one of the "up" at a time.

good luck,
Daan