Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 2003 09:59:43 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Old Way Was Better

On Sunday 07 September 2003 08:38 am, Bill Moran wrote:
> Dan Langille wrote:
> >
> > Those running -current need to be aware of the issues.
>
> This is immaterial.  What we're talking about here is marketing.
> Marketing has nothing to do with reality.  If it did, Microsoft's
> commercials wouldn't show people flying around, they'd show them
> forking out extra money for anti-virus software.
[...]
> Next time, let's call it 6.0-BETA.  This serves both purposes.  A CD
> can be cut from the snapshot to increase the number of people
> testing, yet (even to PHBs) the term BETA means something that will
> cause them to fall back to (then) 5.X.

Or call it FreeBSD-5.2-BETA-RELEASE. "Beta" is far better understood
than "current" (not that "current" part of the name currently.)

Consumers have a fixation with version numbers. Clearly the highest
number available is best! Has most bug fixes! Is New And Improved! One
of my early memories of Linux was at a hamfest where two were standing
at a CDROM table trying to decide which was the "best" Linux distro.
Ultimately they were comparing bundled package version numbers and
finally one won for having gcc 0.01 version higher than the other.

I put 5.0-RELEASE on a noncritical machine. Wasn't happy that it
wouldn't install over 4.7. Didn't like any of my prior partitions or
filesystems. Later put 5.1-RELEASE on this system. If it croaks I'll be
forced to do what I really ought to do anyhow, move the Mac dual G4-867
in its place.

My biggest problems have been with ports. Also noticed
bsdlabel/disklabel didn't work.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net