Date:      Tue, 29 Apr 1997 01:32:13 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.dialix.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        black@zen.cypher.net (Ben Black), kory@avatar.com, brownie@earthling.net, csubl@csv.warwick.ac.uk, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quad Pro 150 motherboard?

Terry Lambert wrote:
[..]
> Personally, I'd like a 32 processor machine; of course, that means
> fixing the kernel so that it doesn't bog down on interprocessor
> synchronization, starting with the allocation mechanism and a
> hierarchical lock manager.
>
> My goal would be to have incremental compiles going on in edit sessions
> so that when I was done editing, the code was read to run.  I hate this
> "wait for the compile" BS.

Hmm... marry emacs and gcc together, so that c-mode has some real
meaning.. :-)  The editor/compiler could keep a nice big parse tree in
memory, being updated as you change lines.  The editor could flag truely
invalid lines because the incremental parser would see it.  It'd be a
"simple" matter of telling it when you wanted the output produced since
the majority of the compile is already done.

Argh, emacs, cpp, gcc and binutils merged into a monolith.. what a horrid
thought... :-]

> 					Terry Lambert
> 					terry@lambert.org

Cheers,