Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2000 12:27:13 +0200
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE>
To:        Bart Lateur <bart.lateur@skynet.be>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: better bootloaders?

On Thu, Apr 20, 2000 at 09:24:15AM +0000, Bart Lateur wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Apr 2000 09:34:56 +0200 (CEST), Christoph Kukulies wrote:
>
> >Correct me if I'm wrong but given you have a 20 GB IDE disk with
> >one half (the first half ) with a Win98 installed then there is no way
> >with the present FreeBSD install disk set to boot a FreeBSD partition
> >(installation) that is installed on the second half of that hard disk.
>
> I'm pretty damn sure this is the same thing being asked here several
> times a week: Your BSD root partition must be inside the first 1024
> cylinders of the IDE disk on most (?) systems. It's a BIOS restriction,
> i.e. before FreeBSD can even try to boot. The second half of a 20 GB
> disk sounds like it's too far in the back of the disk.
>
> The approach I would recommend, is  split the Windows partition into two
> parts: a first smaller part, (primary partition), for booting purposes,
> containing (mainly) the system, including the Windows directory. Next,
> the FreeBSD partition; and finally another Windows partition, up to the
> end of the disk. This would make a separate logical disk, from Windows'
> point of view, where the user can store their data.

I come back to the issue of 'better bootloaders'. From the information
I got from the frustrated new FreeBSD 'customer' I can read that he
installed Linux successfully before on that configuration. That is,
he had Win98 in a 9 GB first partition on that disk and installed Linux
on the rest, was able to boot Linux, only junked it for other reasons.

Then started to install FreeBSD and ended up with that boot problem
after having done the first install from CD successfully.

I can only conclude from that that Linux does something better in that area.