Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 1996 21:42:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        james@miller.cs.uwm.edu, terry@lambert.org, FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.org, fcurrent@jraynard.demon.co.uk, grog@lemis.de
Subject:   Re: Vm fixes NG

This discussion of trying to solve the problem of a GUI leaving the
console in a state that the kernel doesn't know how to change during
a system crash is interesting.  There is a potential solution (hack)
that I don't remember being mentioned.  HACK ALERT!!!: Specify a callback
into user space -- wired specially, with a special system call, that the
kernel (syscons, pcvt, etc) can call in the case of a crash to fix the problem.
To make it easiest on the kernel VM people, it would be nice if it would be
a self-contained module and PIC.  We don't support user space ISRs (yet), but
this isn't very different from an user space ISR.

Just a thought.

John