Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:15:31 -0200
From:      Gonzalo Nemmi <gnemmi@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Add a Splash Screen Section to the Handbook?

On Thursday 20 November 2008 11:49:24 am Daniel Seuffert wrote:
> Gabor PALI wrote:
> > Dear members,
> >

> > A few days ago we received a generous contribution from Joseph J.
> > Barbish on using splash screens in FreeBSD [1].  Initially, it started
> > as a fix for the FAQ, but after I suggested Joe to insert the
> > descriptive part of his work into the Handbook, he offered an entire
> > section for referencing from the FAQ.
> >
> > He recommended to put this section into Chapter 3 ("UNIX Basics"), but I
> > would like to receive some comments on this before I start to integrate
> > it into that chapter.  (Do you think it is needed, if yes, it is a good
> > place for that and so on.)  Of course, after it has been moved to the
> > Handbook, it would shorten the corresponding FAQ entry to contain only
> > the necessary references and to avoid unnecessary duplication of the
> > content.
> >

> > Thank you for your comments in advance.
>
> Dear Gabor,
>
> thank you and Joseph for your work!
>
> Please go for it, a lot of desktop users want it.
>
> Chapter 3 seems appropriate for me.
>
> Wouldn't it be nice to have some FreeBSD specific splash
> screens in the artwork section or elsewhere and you mention
> it in your section?  Maybe it would be good idea to ask
> on advocacy for proposals?

Indeed .. I've been thinking about this for a long time ... there's a severe
lack of FreeBSD related artwork .. so much so that I was thinking on paying
some artists I know to come up with a series of FreeBSD
boot/splash/backgrounds/sleeves and CD-DVD cover images ...

Peer Schaefer's work (CD-ROM labels, sleeves and cases for FreeBSD) is
impecable, but he seems to be the only one working on FreeBSD art:

http://www.wolldingwacht.de/foss/freebsd/cdrom-artwork/

I translated the text on his CD-ROM labels, sleeves and cases for FreeBSD into
spanish in order to get some "globalized" advocacy:

http://www.wolldingwacht.de/foss/freebsd/cdrom-artwork-es/

On august this year, Daniel Seuffert was asking for posters to use at events:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-advocacy/2008-August/003701.html

I believe OpenBSD sets the standar on this one .. with new OpenBSD related art
on every release, posters, t-shirts, lots of stickers and so on ...

http://images.kd85.com/notforsale/blowfishsticker.pdf
http://eurobsd.org/2005-WhatTheHack/reports/wvdputte-20050730/tn/DSC03983.JPG.html
http://images.kd85.com/notforsale/openbsd-en-flyer-1.9.3.v8.pdf
http://kd85.com/notforsale.html

I've been hesitant on wether or not to bring this issue up on freebsd-advocacy
but if I'm not alone on this one, I'm willing to do so.

I thought that Anton Gural's work would have put an end to this ... but it did
not :(