Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 11:00:39 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: USB CF reader (SanDisk) epilog

Brian writes:

> USB is "relatively" now on FreeBSD, though, and
> I don't really trust it too much myself.

I don't care for USB at all, and I would have preferred a true SCSI CF
reader, but there seems to be no such animal.  The only choices seem to be
parallel port or USB, and USB is the lesser of these two evils (there are
IDE PCMCIA readers, too, but I don't like to fool around with IDE at
all--plus they are internal readers, and my PC cabinet is too crowded
already).

> But it's probably because the card presents itself
> as a "virtual disk" and physical disks are not
> completely time-indepdenent, and the driver doesn't
> "know" that's talking to a fake disk that doesn't
> really have a spinning platter . . . or maybe it's
> higher up where the system figures if it hasn't heard
> from a disk drive in xx seconds it's not going to
> hear from it at all.

No reflection on you personally, but your speculation illustrates the
biggest problem with software today--especially open-source software: Nobody
actually has any idea how it works, even if the source is freely available.
Everyone just speculates, throwing darts, hoping to get something right, or
at least to get something working.  Is it any wonder that systems fail and
crash?