Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 06:29:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        unknown@riverstyx.net
Cc:        dyson@iquest.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD: The Storage Wars

> > IMO, it is *silly* that Linux doesn't support large files correctly.  If
> > it doesn't support large files on an X86, then it doesn't support large
> > files.  There was alot of pressure from the user and developer base when
> > FreeBSD didn't properly support large files, and I am surprised that
> > either the Linux base hasn't pressured for proper support for large files,
> > or the Linux developers can't figure out how to do it.  (I sure hope that
> > it isn't arrogance on their part that it isn't "needed.")
>
> Don't be intentionally ignorant.  As I stated above, there are patches.
> Logically, one might take that to mean that Linux developers can indeed
> figure out how to do it.  Fanaticism is soooo irritating.

Well, why isn't it in the distribution?  Why has it taken soooo long?  The
key is that I listened to the user base, and did some seriously grungy
programming.  There was little elitism, but simply to do what was needed.

Of course, they know how to do it :-), and of course the user base has
wanted it (look at the mailing lists/netnews over the last several
years.)  The humor is in the attitude that has kept the right thing
from happening.

Fanaticism with regards to using an OS whose developers won't do what
is needed is also irritating.  Maybe they are now coming aware with real
applications being used now.  FreeBSD users exposed the issue almost
right away, and therefore the problem had to be fixed.  There was no
choice, and no arrogance.

FreeBSD (in general) should be proud about the consideration that the
developers had given to the user base.  From that viewpoint, it is not
bad that the developers should feel happy about the long term decisions
made, and FreeBSD development being mired in short term expediency.  In
fact, the FreeBSD solution has been being discussed on the Linux mailing
lists, and wonder if they looked at what we did?  It is much easier to
copy a design, than to actually think...

It seems that fanaticism is where an inferior decision is being made,
whilst a correct solution already exists :-).  A little verbal sparring
is nowhere near the insanity of wasting effort with reimplementation.

John