Date:      Mon, 03 May 1999 12:04:36 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Wayne Shiver <wshiver@crawford.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Not able to see freebsd machines on NT machine

I assume you are running SAMBA. Win 9x usually chooses to setup
NETBEUI. That is an add-in option on NT that most serious networks
choose to leave out. You can end up with broadcast storms when your NT
servers have NETBEUI  installed. You can't browse without NETBEUI. You
can, however, connect by using \\netbeui-name\share. Then, you don't
have the overhead of NETBEUI on your NT servers and the serious
side-effects. I think I have netbios over tcp/ip, which is the default
I think, but it has been a few months since I had to tinker with my NT
machines. I am trying different configurations on FreeBSD and mostly
telnet to the FreeBSD system. I don't want them running SAMBA.

Kent

Wayne Shiver wrote:

> For some strange reason I can see freebsd machines in Windows 98 but not
> on any of our NT workstations or servers. Does anyone no how to get
> around this problem?
>
> Wayne

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA