Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:10:14 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
To:        <bastill@sa.apana.org.au>, "questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Pocket Ethernet Adaptor (Parallel)

The way I check to see if the NIC is properly recognized & configured during
installation is to "pretend" I'm doing an FTP install (whether I am or
otherwise). If the NIC is OK it will be in the list of interfaces .... if
its not there its obviously not a happy little NIC.  I don't like generic  /
asian junk NICs & refuse to have anything to do with them, however lots of
people claim to have some measure of success so I guess its worth a punt if
you have more patience than I do.
The number you stated sounds like its a RealTek. If thats correct it means
an NE2000 driver "should" work as long as the actual IRQ is what FreeBSD
thinks it is.