Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 18:04:59 -0500
From:      Thomas Blanchard <tblanchard@etiinternational.net>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   How do I install Ports?

I installed your BSD version 4.4, and was wondering that if when you install
all the ports collection, how do you know if they're working?

My specific thing is SAMBA,  I run make install in the /usr/ports/net/samba
directory and get weird error messages about Ftp's and such, or I'll get '....
is alread up to date'.  Now on the up to date thing, does that mean that it is
installed already, if so how do I know, and where do you find the smb.conf file
that configures it?  Please bear with me I am very new at this.  Also with the
4 CD set, I notice that I can install the entire system from ONE CD, is that
supposed to happen?  What are the other CD's for?  I notice one is for the live
CVS, and one is for binaries???????    What's the difference?   And why when I
use the live one do I get a whole bunch of "I couldn't copy the file errors",
but with the number 1 CD I get no errors?  How do I know if my stuff is working
in FreeBSD?

I've read all the documentation on your FreeBSD help site, but I couldn't find
answers to any of these questions.   Please, Please help, I would love to be
able to understand and use UNIX.