Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 09:04:28 -0800
From:      Joey Garcia <gummibear@nettaxi.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPP with an Earthlink Account

Hey all!

I'm wondering if anyone is using user PPP with an Earthlink account.
I'm having trouble actually getting connected.  I'm pretty sure that
Earthlink uses PAP/CHAP since I don't get a login sequence when I
manually dial into Earthlink using ppp in term mode.

I'm trying to use my work account to access the Internet which is an
Earthlink account.  What I think is the problem is the username sequence
that Earthlink uses: ELN/username.  I think that / is screwing things up
but I'm not sure.  I've tried putting it in quotes and stuff but that
didn't work either.

I was hoping to see an Earthlink ready ppp.conf to go by.  I've printed
out the man page for ppp, the ppp section in the Handbook, and the
Pedantic PPP primer.  I followed the manuals to the letter so I'm not
sure what the deal is.

My ultimate goal is to finally get one modem up on the internet, then
try to get another up on the internet in order to do multi-link ppp with
NAT and some ppp filters.  This is a little project that I have to show
my boss the merits of FreeBSD as well as my own home project.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Joey