Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 1997 11:29:40 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        sof@velocity.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freeBsd

On Fri, Sep 19, 1997 at 09:08:13PM -0700, Bill wrote:
> I just purchased your FreeBSD ver 2.2.2 and cant get it to install
>
> Every time I launch the install.bat and then fix the conflicts in the
> Kernl Configuration Screen
> then I press quit and save. I get the following
>
> avail memory = 4976640 (4860K bytes)
> Probing for devices on the ISA bus:
> sc0 at 0x60-0x6f irq 1 on motherboard
> sc0: VGA color <4 virtual consoles, flages=0x0>
> And thats it. From there on it locks up every time.
> What am I doing wrong?????
>
> I guess I should tell you what kind of machine i have:
>
> 486dx2 50mhz
> 8mb ram

For some reason, FreeBSD thinks you have only 4.8MB.  This isn't
enough to install FreeBSD, though it *is* enough to run it (the
install kernel includes all sorts of extras that you only need during
installation).

Are you sure all your memory is functional?  If your BIOS reserves
some of it as extended memory or such, you need to turn that off.

Greg