Date:      Fri, 15 Aug 2008 18:29:39 +1000
From:      Norberto Meijome <freebsd@meijome.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: security updates

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:09:01 +0200
jdd sur free <jdanield@free.fr> wrote:

> Hello :-)
> I'm new to freeBSD, so forgive me if my question is boring :-(
[...]

Welcome jjd!

> so then, my question: what about security updates? with openSUSE I
> have an automatic update. For freeBSD, I didn't find anything on this
> archive list and the google search sent me to old doc (2003)
>
> http://www.daemonology.net/freebsd-update/binup.html

Kernel + Base :
If you use the GENERIC kernel, freebsd-update will work great. It is part of the 7.x series, man freebsd-update :)

in pre-7 versions, i think you could install it from ports.

If you are past GENERIC, then you should read http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cutting-edge.html

Ports :
you should read
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html
and
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/portsnap.html

Good luck,
{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

If you don't have the time to do it right, where are you going to find the time to do it over?