Date:      Sun, 30 Aug 1998 16:20:04 -0400
From:      George Coull <GWCOULL@compuserve.com>
To:        freebsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   install problems

help,

FreeBSD 2.2.5

having a problem trying to install the above revision onto my system. All
seems to install correctly given my limited knowledge of this software. I
receive no errors. On exit of install and reboot( having requested
booteasy) I receive a menu showing
        F1 . . .  dos

        Default ?

System will boot into Win95 if I press F1. Do not understand why no entry
for FreeBSD.
I've checked on your FAQ pages and noted comments from the hardware guide
in relation to "geometry". Ran pfdisk.exe on all my drives to ensure the
data is correct. Tried re-installing from scratch but always have the same
problem.
My system has the following disk set-up

        2 x eide        master and slave on port 1.

        SCSI adaptec 2940au

        3 x 1.37 GB disks
        1 x   .630 GB disk for FreeBSD

As stated geometry was set on the disk allocated for FreeBSD as per the
checks carried out using pfdisk.
When going through the install procedure I flag the first ide drive as my
"boot" disk at the bootmanager screen select booteasy, then select sd3 as
the disk for FreeBSD, allow sytem to set-up using "A" then "Q" and select
booteasy then continue, allow the program to set the required partitions
automatically.

I do not know what i'm doing wrong if anything. Also unable to clear the
boot menu if required when normally booting into Win95.
Any help gratefully received.

George Coull (U.K.)