Date:      Mon, 22 Sep 1997 09:23:51 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Paul Griffith <paulg@interlog.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Linux faster thasn FreeBSD

I don;t have any hard facts to prove or disprove the  subject line, but
after I installed FreeBSD v2.1.6 (I know it's old - I'm still waiting for
v2.2.2) it felt slower than OpenLinux Lite v1.1. FELT is the word here
people, but over all OpenLinux felt faster and more responsive to any
commands I gave it. I have a basic setup as follows

i486DX2 - 66
ISA bus
32MB of RAM
Promise VL EIDE Card
Trident TGUI9440 based VL Video Card
Adaptec 1522 SCSI Card

FreeBSD is setup as fellows

IDE Drive 2 (120MB in total)  50MB - /     part 1
                              70MB - swap  part 2

SCSI Drive 1 (500MB in total) 150MB  /var filesystem
                              350MB  /usr filesystem

SCSI Drive 2 128MB Optical to used as a backup device

Paul Griffith - paulg@interlog.com