Date:      Sat, 23 Aug 1997 20:39:33 -0700 (MST)
From:      accent@user1.inficad.com
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AWE32 support

If you continue to think like you have always thought you will continue to get what you have always got.

On Sat, 23 Aug 1997, Doug White wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Aug 1997 accent@inficad.com wrote:
>
> > I have recompiled my kernel with the snd0 and sb0 line added.  I see it
> > detects my sb0 line without a problem, however I am unable to mount any
> > audio cd's.  Am I missing something here???  I am using xcdplayer but it
> > tells me "device not configured"!! Is this a problem in my kernel or did I
> > not set up xcdplayer correctly???  Any suggestions for this newbie would be
> > greatly appreciated..
>
> This is an issue with your CDROM controller, which is probably a secondary
> IDE controller on your sound card.  Unfortunately, the likelihood of
> detecting CDROMs that are attached to sound cards is very low.  I would
> suggest moving your CDROM to the slave position on your primary IDE
> channel (to which your hard disk is connected to).  Make sure you switch
> the jumpers on your hard disk so it will continue to work with your CD
> attached.  Then try booting FreeBSD and see if the wdc probe finds it.

> Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo

Doug, Thank You for your reply.  Your response seems very logical.  I had
neglected to mention my hard drive is a SCSI and my CD-Rom is not.  My CD
is connected to the IDE controller on the motherboard.  After some
research I realized I did not sepicy the "-device /dev/wcd0c" on the
command line.  After this I just created an alias to "xcd" all is well.

Accent