Date:      Wed, 02 Feb 2000 19:18:05 GMT
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@nojunk.com>
To:        Sean Noonan <snoonan@cx952600-a.fed1.sdca.home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup/buildworld problems/questions

On 2/2/00, 4:41:53 PM, Sean Noonan
<snoonan@cx952600-a.fed1.sdca.home.com> wrote regarding cvsup/buildworld=

problems/questions:

> Hi All:

> I have a 3.4-RELEASE system that I've wanted to upgrade to stable.
Last
> night (and this morning), I cvsuped with this conf file:

> *default  host=3Dcvsup2.FreeBSD.org
> *default  base=3D/usr
> *default  prefix=3D/usr
> *default  release=3Dcvs
> *default  tag=3DRELENG_3
> *default  delete use-rel-suffix

> src-all
> cvs-crypto
> *default tag=3D.
> ports-all
> doc-all

> The cvsup update appeared to work correctly.

Dear Sean Noonan,

you might wish to have a look at the FAQs found at
http://www.polstra.com ; in particular, you might want to pay
attention to the list=3Dcvs:RELENG considerations.

<snip>

> My Questions:
> 1. I know I have to drop to single-user mode to do the installworld,
> but do I *have* to do it with buildworld?  Could this be my problem?

Strictly speaking, you needn't (by the book).

> 2. Does my cvsup file look like it should condidering what I want to
> do (upgrade from 3.4-RELEASE to stable)?

See above.

> 3. Did I miss any ciritical steps from what you can tell?

Have you had a look at Nik Clayton's tutorial ?  It is also found in
the handbook. Please don't forget to use mergemaster(8) ! .

> 4. How to fix??

Sorry, at the moment I have no idea from what I see. If you haven't
downloaded the sources correctly (which I suspect), you shall have to
correct your supfile and repeat the entire process. Before doing this,
please read Polstra's FAQs *carefully* as well as the handbook :-)

You will be able to determine yourself which recipes to apply (eg
delete your 3.3   sources and reinstall them, then cvsup ? Or simply
delete your checkouts and then cvsup ? And so on)

In the mailing archives, you will find interesting information about
various issues, including mergemaster(8), and the importance of using
mergemaster --was: The Importance of Being Earnest ;-))

In fact, after reading a pile of documentation, I have recently
cvsupped to -stable, and I will make the world in a while myself,
adding to your woes :-)

> TIA,

> -Sean Noonan
> noonans@home.com

Please note: my_fake_antispam_domain =3D=3D=3D> neomedia.it to reply.

Best regards,
Salvo